Our Company, Expeditions Myanmar, will commit to the following:
• We abide by all Myanmar labour laws and try to raise above the standard for a sustainable long-term future together.
• We will offset the carbon generated by domestic air flights and other transportation by planting a tree for every tourist booking, in cooperation with Living Earth Green Network, Taunggyi, Shan State.
Reduce energy consumption
• The use of energy efficient light bulbs
• Implement a 'switch off' policy in the office for lights, air conditioning and office equipment.
• Regularly maintain all equipment like air-conditioning, to ensure it works efficiently.
• Train all our transporters in awareness of energy conservation measures, such as turning off engines when waiting for clients.
• Adjust the transportation to the tour group size to reduce emissions and make efficient use of it.
Reduce Water consumption
• Ensure our toilet flushes will be eco-friendly by a dual flush.
• Ensure there are no leaks in the water pipes system.
• Don’t keep taps running.
• Wash up using bowls.
• Use large water jugs where available to refill water bottles and prevent needless plastic waste of water bottles.
• Reduce reliance on plastic bags in the office and business. Bring own non-plastic bags.
• Use only reusable water bottles, cups/glasses and lunch containers.
• Use environmental or natural cleaning products to reduce pollution.
• Print on both sides of paper.
• Purchase sustainably certified paper.
• Request tourists pack any used batteries to take home and recycle as there are limited recycling options in Myanmar.
• A ‘leave-no-trace’ policy, for clients, guides and other employees alike.
• Support local purchasing when quality, service, availability and price allow.
• Donate to local community causes, for example to the Living Earth Green Network.
• Cooperate with local communities like the chin tribe in Rakhine state to provide giveaways for clients or local souvenirs
• Inform all suppliers of our commitment to Travelife sustainability management.
• Cooperate with sustainable suppliers
• We aim to provide tourists with relevant information to encourage responsible tourism behaviour.
• Support the local communities in all destinations.
• A ‘leave-no-trace’ policy, for clients, guides and other employees alike, to do not litter the destination.
• Any disturbance of natural ecosystems is minimized, rehabilitated, and there is a compensatory contribution to conservation management.
• We do not participate in any form of animal exploit and will contribute to the welfare of animals.
• We solely cooperate with accommodations that adhere to local Myanmar labour laws and do not engage in any activity that is in anyway harmful to children e.g. labour or child sex tourism, as well as any other form of exploit.
• We will reduce waste from the office by 30 % over a year.
• We will reduce energy bills in the office by 25 % over a year.
• We will reduce water usage by 25 % over a year.
• We aim to donate 3 dollars of our profits per traveller to our chosen projects:
1 dollar to Tree Plantation, 1 dollar to Local Health Care Centres, 1 dollar to Local Education.
Why and how?
Expeditions Myanmar realises that it should do as much as it can, to take responsibility and protect the environment for upcoming generations, as well as our own. Therefore, our company will implement this sustainability plan to become fully sustainable throughout our whole company, in every branch.
Our sustainability plan makes sure all environmental legislation is being followed and implemented, our use of utilities is efficient and therefore minimised, and waste will be reduced, recycled and re-used whenever possible. Furthermore, we will try to invite everyone involved, to strive towards the protection of our environment and minimising pollution. Everyone should think like minded and whether inside the office, transport, accommodation, or at the destination as a tourist or guide, we all should cooperate.
Expeditions Myanmar will provide this cooperation, together with sufficient training and knowledge to all parties involved and/or interested. We make sure to openly communicate all our policies and practises and be open for any input. Together we can achieve more.
For questions and remarks related to our sustainability / CSR policies please contact us at [email protected]nmartravel.com